Thursday, May 14, 2009

First Hive Inspection













First off , of the twelve days that the hive has had bees installed ten of those days here in Knoxville have been very rainey. I have to say the hive is doing very well, not to my doing becaus I could go back tomorrow and they might all be gone. The nuc I purchased from Michael Wilson of Rose Comb Apiary was outstanding. I got much more for my money then what I actually paid. The bees are very calm and gentle. Just what a new beekeeper as myself needs. I look forward to twelve days of good weather to see how the bees produce. In one of the pictures you can see the Queen hard at work.




I have been feeding since day one and they have been consuming about a gallon of sugar water every two days. I will continue to feed untile they refuse to feed and go to nectar.

I saw many eggs laid in a good pattern and also larva. Bees were doing so well I have added the third mediumn brood box. I plan on using three med. boxes for brood before adding supers.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! Seems to me like things are looking good. Keep up the good work and continue to post updates. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete